Tired of being a cog in a massive machine and ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want the opportunity to not only use your design skills but also work hand in hand with your clients, seeing the result of your efforts almost instantaneously? If you follow the motto of “if you enjoy the work you do, you don’t work a day in your life”, then this opportunity may be perfect for you.
ARE is a fast-growing engineering and technology company that provides engineering, UAS (drone) solutions, and software as a service to the transportation, energy, and environmental sectors. We are looking for a team player to join our Railroad Bridge Design Services team that will help us service Class I, Shortline, and Transit clients.
This position will be located in Kansas City, MO and report to ARE’s Director of Bridge Design. The position will be full-time, with an expectation of working in the office at least 50% of the time, conditions permitting. Travel expectations for this position are 20% or less.
Duties of the Railroad Bridge Design Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Generate and evaluate geometric design alternatives for new railroad bridges and culverts considering potential permitting restrictions.
- Complete the design of railroad structures, including bridges with deep foundations, box and pipe culverts, and retaining walls.
- Design repair alternatives for existing railroad structures.
- Develop Plans, Specifications, and Estimates packages that clearly define the work, are biddable, and emphasize safety and constructibility.
- Conduct capacity ratings of railroad structures and report the results.
- Attend meetings with supervisor/designated employee on design project matters that involve a wide range of external contacts, including technical representatives of client companies.
- Manage projects to completion as they relate to design services that ARE provides to our clients.
- Develop solutions that meet client needs, including minimizing track outages for construction.
- Take and maintain active any necessary Railroad safety training.
- Minimum of 4 years of related practical bridge design experience (railway preferred, but highway acceptable)
- Strong organization and communication skills, a positive attitude.
- Willing to travel, and a desire for continued growth.
- A working understanding of Structural Analysis, Mechanics of Materials, and Design and Construction Specifications according to AREMA and/or AASHTO LRFD.
- Able to use the above skills and knowledge, in conjunction with engineering judgment, to solve structural design problems in an efficient manner.
- The ability to determine the size of required structural members and substructure units based on AREMA guidelines and applicable design codes, and to exercise sound engineering judgment and reason in design procedures.
- The ability to use structural analysis software to create analysis models, understand the analysis results and apply them towards the design of structural members.
- A working knowledge of drafting software.
- An active Professional Engineer’s License.
- The ability to work independently with minimal direction and oversight, excellent time management skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- AREMA membership and committee participation
- 5+ years of professional experience in structural design of Railroad structures (bridges, culverts, retaining walls). Experience with AASHTO LRFD is acceptable with the understanding that Railroad structures will be designed per AREMA guidelines.
- MS Degree in Structural Engineering, which will count as 1 year of professional experience.
- Competency in the use of CSI SAP2000 software, including the ability to model 2D and 3D frame, plate, and hybrid structural models oriented to the analysis of bridges.
- Experience with Mathcad calculation sheets and reports, including its integration with MS Excel to elaborate and maintain design and rating calculation templates.
- Excellent skills in the use of MS Office, including the use of Macros in Excel
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Jobs@are-corp.com
ARE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ARE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ARE expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.