ARE is a fast-growing engineering and technology company that provides engineering, data analytics, UAS (drone) solutions and software to US Railway owners. Our staff is made up of engineering professionals, programmers and GIS analysts, all working towards a common goal of acting as an extension of our clients staff. Or clients include, but not limited to, BNSF Railway, Kansas City Southern Railway, WATCO Companies LLC, Norfolk Southern Railway and many more.
This position will be located in Kansas City, MO and report to ARE’s CEO. The position will be full time, with an expectation of working in the office when possible. Travel expectations for this position are 20% or less.
The controller supervises all activities in the accounting department, including payroll, accounts payable, invoicing, and accounting systems. Designs, implements, and continually improves financial controls, systems and procedures. Performs quality control/quality assurance of contracts to ensure adequate financial return, accuracy, and consistency. Ensures company follows GAAP and corporate accounting principles, practices, and guidelines as appropriate for a closely held small business.
- Overall responsibility for all activities within the accounting department, including Payroll, Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Systems and preparation of the consolidated company financial statements.
- Ensure timely reporting of financial metrics and monthly financials, maintenance of asset tracking and depreciation schedules, oversight of revenue methods, contracts, invoicing, AP and cashflow management.
- Assess current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Manage the budget process.
- Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process.
- Maintain, enhance, and supervise activity in the accounting system (Deltek Vantagepoint) to ensure accurate financial reporting of company activities.
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems.
- Review payment transactions. Establish and implement appropriate procedures for payment transactions to occur.
- Prepare financial models for benefit renewals, compensation plans, and pay structures.
- Review all necessary information required for tax preparation and coordinate with tax CPA to complete annual taxes.
- Collaborate in evaluating overhead costs and recommend cost savings where appropriate.
- Review processing of all tax documents for employees and vendors, including requesting new tax ID’s if necessary, preparing 1099 data for the tax accountant, and reviewing W-2’s as prepared by our payroll provider ADP.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed.
- Prepare Domestic and Foreign Corporation filings (annual reports, engineering organization renewal).
- Oversee hiring, training, and retaining skilled accounting staff.
- Undertake assignments on projects or special initiatives as appropriate.
- Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by senior leadership team.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
The employee will perform other duties and responsibilities as required by the Chief Executive Officer which might include administrative, management, and technical tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum 6 years professional experience in financial management, corporate finance, budgeting, computerization of financial operations, with emphasis on project contracting in a professional services industry.
- In depth knowledge of compliance and accounting.
- Experience managing teams, recruiting excellent candidates, developing staff capabilities, and promoting the careers of successful staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to write and verbally communicate clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated ability to operate at increasingly advanced levels of leadership and authority.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Regular attendance and availability during normal business hours are required.
- Able to report to ARE’s Kansas City office 3 days a week.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is expected to range between $89,500 – $125,000.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
ARE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ARE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ARE expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.